FAQ: 90 Day Nutrition and Strength and Conditioning Program for Triathletes
Who is this appropriate for?
- Scheduled Strength and Conditioning workouts designed around your race day for peak performance to complement your 3 discipline cardio training. Coach Ali will work with your Triathlon Coach (or program) to fill in the gaps in your regular swim/bike/run regime.
- The Ali Fitness App – You get access to the Ali Fitness app where your Strength and Conditioning workouts are available. Here you will be able to communicate directly to Coach Ali as well as record your body stats, see your workouts (including videos of each exercise) and check off your daily tasks (to keep you accountable).
- Join our private Facebook community where you can share your experience and knowledge and ask questions to Coach Ali and your fellow athletes.
- A 90-day online journal to track your progress and feedback from Coach Ali on your Daily Journal via email.
- 21 Day Transformation book detailing the fundamentals and science of the nutrition regime.
- Two amazing Primal Recipe Books jam-packed with delicious recipes designed to fuel your body and mind.
- Daily emails from Ali with new tips and motivation for each day during the first 21 days of your nutrition program.
- A List of Foods to Avoid and Food to Eat on the Primal Diet.
- A Shopping List of approved foods that you can use to make dozens of tasty recipes.
- A comprehensive 2-hour video lecture about the science of the 21-day challenge which you will watch before the first meeting.
Does this involve nutrition, strength and conditioning and cardio?
This program assumes you have a cardio program that covers the 3 disciplines, or even better have a Triathlon Coach. The key to becoming your optimal weight and living a healthy long life is determined 80% by what you eat, so nutrition is a big part of your success as a triathlete. Strength and Conditioning is another important component that is often overlooked by Triathletes and is taken care of for you here. I wrote about the science behind this program in my blog post “STRENGTHEN AND NOURISH YOUR BODY THE IRONMAN WAY”
What is The Primal Diet?
Sleep – We focus on getting 7 to 10 hours of sleep per night
Sun – We aim to get at least 15 mins of sun a day (more in winter)
Moving – We move throughout the day not just during our exercise session
Playing – We schedule time for PLAY
If I am vegan or vegetarian will this program still work for me?
What does the Strength and Conditioning program look like?
Phase 1: Base/ Acclimation
Focuses on building a fresh endurance base and muscular strength (slow and easy)
Phase 2: Strength/ Endurance phase
Increase aerobic mileage and volume of strength training (challenges triathlete to handle higher blood lactate levels)
Phase 3: Power/ Endurance
Focuses on turning strength to power (high intensity and volume)
Phase 4: Peak Power
Focuses on high-intensity intervals
Strength training is modified to turn power into speed
Phase 5: Maintenance (in-season phase)
Recommended but not mandatory
Cease strength training two weeks before race day
Do I need access to a gym or any specialized equipment?
Is there a minimum level of strength and fitness?
How much weight will I lose?
This really depends on how overweight (or not!) you are. The Primal lifestyle brings people back to their optimal weight so people who are overweight tend to lose at least 5 but normally more than 10kgs during the 21 days and then continue doing so until they reach there optimal weight. Most people lose at least a couple of kgs even if they are not classed as being overweight. See some of the results past particpants have achieved here – https://www.ali.fitness/21-
What is the schedule?
What support do I receive from Ali?
- An initial Skype call where we create a plan and talk through the 3-month plan and how to use the Ali Fitness App.
- Feedback on your daily journal (optional)
- Answers to your questions in the private FB group
- Daily emails in the first 21 days to help you understand and stick to your new eating habits.